Sunday, March 31, 2013

I Can't Be Tamed...

Oh yes, that's Miley I'm quoting.  Let's review, just a moment...

I was taking it SLOW, right?  That was the plan? Slow with cross training, right?  TWO.  2. TWO runs a week is what the calendar said?  I even had an excuse this week because I had color added to my tattoo and I was going to be sore and it would be hard to wear a sports bra.  Well, apparently I cannot be tamed because this week I ran more miles than I ever have.  15 to be exact. 

I pushed to get 2 runs done before Wednesday and the tattoo appointment.  I had good intentions to not run anymore this week and just cross train.  Then Friday arrived, the sun came out, and the temperatures skyrocketed for the first time this spring and I couldn't help but just do that 5K that I had wanted to do. 

Easter Sunday arrives this morning and I was feeling a little "off".  It was rainy yesterday and this morning and I thought I would just take a little jog.  No pressure, just run up around the lake and enjoy the warm temps that have finally arrived.  So off I went!  It felt fantastic to just run and not worry about pace, although I did wear my Garmin. 

It was cloudy but warm and at some point it started to drizzle.  It was perfect though, cooled me off but didn't totally soak me.  The lake was lovely.


I ran by a statue in someone's yard and it struck me that I felt JUST like that statue looked at that moment.  I tried to take a pic, but I didn't want to really stop again and it was blurry.  I kept running. 

I made my way around a loop back towards my house and I was coming up my road at about 3.25 miles when Miley came on.  Yep.  I have no idea how the song got on my playlist, I guess from my daughter.  BAM.  Can't be tamed.  Fantastic song to run to, by the way.  And I just couldn't stop.  Nope, I can't be tamed either Miley.  I get it.  So I kept running...

Ran right by my house and back towards the lake again.  I still had that statue in my head and I thought I would run back to it and get that picture I wanted.  So that's just what I did!  I'm sure the people who had this in their yard thought I was nuts for standing there taking a picture of it, but it just made me smile.

That's how I felt!  And so I just kept running!  Another loop around the lake and at some point I was sobbing.   I knew I was going to run farther than I ever have and each time this happens I'm overwhelmed.  It just felt so good and I cannot believe that I can just keep running and running.  I never thought that was something I would be able to do.  The clouds started to clear out and the sun started to burn off the fog as I finished up.  The birds were singing.  It was just gorgeous.

When I got to 5 miles (1:00:20), I stopped and walked the rest of the way home (probably a half mile) because my knees were a little sore and I realized that although I may not be easily tamed, I AM easily injured!  

I hope everyone has a fabulous Easter, I'm hoping since the sun is now out, things will dry up and Rey & I can work on clearing the gumballs out of the yard.  5 miles AND yardwork!  Told ya I can't be tamed.  ;)

8 comments:

  1. Yay! So excited for you!

    Also, is it weird that I had tears in my eyes about two paragraphs in??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not weird, you are just that good of a friend Summer. Hey, that was horrible grammar, go me! :p

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great run! I'm glad you're feeling good and learning to listen to your body. Sometimes timetables help us find the balance we need so that we don't need the timetable anymore. If that makes sense, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense...and I'm glad you told me on FB this was you, I wouldn't have known! LOL

      Delete
  3. Karen, that is SO awesome! Way to go girl! I feel so defeated with running. I let myself go for 2 weeks and I can't find the push to get going again. I wish the weather would warm up here & I could try heading outside again...... Sigh... well, what.. I have 7 months to get myself together for that 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just get out there and put one foot in front of the other! Once you get back to it, you'll remember how good it feels! I promise!

      Delete
  4. I love that you quoted Miley and I also appreciate the picture of the statue. It's such a good feeling when things are going your way during a run, isn't it? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete